Thursday, April 1, 2010

ALL THE THINGS I LOVE

I have a list that I started a million years ago. Almost literally. OK, so I THINK I was 15 or 16, a sophmore in high school, but it seems like a million years ago. It was a list, just that, a list, of things I love. I am pretty sure I know where it is and it's important to me. I've never lost it, that single, original piece of notebook paper, in 30+ years, and I can usually find it within a few minutes if I go looking for it. I will, sometime soon. It's funny, but I bet most of the things on that list that I loved thirty years ago, I STILL love. I remember that it has grape popsicles on it. I loved anything grape flavored then, and I still do now. It's my favorite flavor of anything  It's a list that I have, at times, added to, over the years. Not very consistently, probably only two or three times in all these years. And I'm thinking it's about time to add to it. But instead of getting up to go find it right now, I think I will just add it here. And then, later, when I do find it, I'll just copy it over onto that same piece of paper, and tuck it away for another ten years.
  • warm brown chicken eggs
  • green-blue Auracauna eggs
  • Bramble
  • marshmallow peeps
  • Girlyman music
  • rediscovering old friendsI
  • composting my garbage
  • making jam
  • crocheting
  • chickens
  • buckwheat pancakes with real maple syrup
  • sleeping with the windows open
  • The Genesee River
  • Alaska
  • flying
  • Tractor Supply store
  • sleep
  • traveling long distances alone in the car
  • sheep and goats
  • brown faced cows with soft looking eyes
  • Twilight, and Edward
  • fresh sheets on the bed
  • losing weight
  • Law and Order, SVU
  • Pear flavored jelly belly jelly beans
  • coffee from the Mobil
  • slobbery dog kisses
  • making lists 
  • fireweed
  • local honey
  • berry picking
  • fields of pumpkins
  • fields of sunflowers
  • growing potatoes
                  
I feel like I could go on and on. But that's a good thing, It's supposed to be a list, a laundry list, of all the things you love lots and lots in life. And it a good thing to keep around, and pull out every now and then, especially when things start getting you down, to remember all the things there are in your life TO love. Start a list, write down all the things that come to mind quickly that you love, and when you have to start really thinking about it, then put it away. Take it out again in a month, a year, 5, 10 years, and add to it. But keep it. Always. I KNOW peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches were on my list from 30 years ago. They still are.
What's on your list?

2 comments:

Peruby said...

Oh, a list of things I love. Now, that would be a long one. But sounds like it would be fun to make.

I threw up grape gum when I was little and have never been able to eat "grape flavored" anything again. :-(

Kimberlee said...

I love your list! And I see that we have some things in common. :) You are the only other person that I know who likes L&O:SVU! I like all of them, but SVU is my favorite.

I've written about favorite things before, but I don't think I've ever made a list. Great idea.

Grape flavored things taste good to me, but I don't like cherry much and banana is even worse! :)