Friday, November 28, 2008

Family

Why do families have to be so complicated? Why can't a family just be what you want? What determines if some people get lucky and get a really good family, and others don't? Mine sucks. Well, ok, it doesn't completely suck, but it sure isn't what I want. For starters, I am 45 years old, and I have never really gotten over the family dynamics that have me not only as the youngest child, but as an "only child" - with siblings. The three of them are all 18 months apart, roughly, and then, nearly 10 years later, along I came. So, no matter what interactions we have, that unfortunate dynamic comes into play. They all get a long. They all think I'm the "baby," still. They are all friends. And then, then... there's me. I don't fit into their molds, their ideas, etc any more than they fit into mine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I to was basically raised as an only child. My brother is 6 years older than me and my sister is 11 years older than me. I understand where your coming from in that respect.

rdk said...

Ditto, but I have cherished my close relationship with Mom and Dad, being raised as an "only". As we approach the one-year anniversary of their passing (within six days of each other, and on either side of my 60th birthday;/ ), I'm trying to get back to my enthusiastic self. It's hard when such a huge part of yourself has changed form and gone on to where you can't physically be. I'm glad I've found you.

Becky